Friday, June 1, 2012

*My Summer as a Street Walker*



I remember my summer as a street walker. Just about every night, I took a super long stroll. On the chance you might drive by. I always went the same way. To make myself easy to find.
          My heart would do a do-si-do the second I heard your car. I knew its sound. Could make it out a block away. Sometimes two. I’d count the seconds ‘til you pulled alongside me. One Mississippi. Two Mississippi.
          “Want a ride?”
          I always made it a point to raise my eyebrows and O my mouth. “Well, hello. What are you doing over this way?”
          “Just cruising around.” Liar. You were searching for me.
          You leaned over and opened the door. I slid in. Rubbed the maroon velour upholstery with my cheek. I flicked the yellow Christmas tree-looking air freshener that hung from the mirror. Eventually the pine scent wafted its way to me. Over by the door.
          I thought you’d never kiss me. You'd take me on a tour all around my neighborhood and into the surrounding ones. I just sat there, leaning against my door, the arm rest poking into my kidney. I wondered what it would be like. When you finally did. Kiss me.
          Then came that one storm. It’d been threatening all day. Bubbled dark clouds came and went. The air felt still, yet crackly. I could smell the rain before the first drop kerplopped on your windshield. The downpour came hard and fast. Sounded like a million marbles dropped on your car roof. I cowered in my corner.
          You pulled under a big oak tree, shifted the car into park, and patted the center of the seat.
          “Why don’t you scoot over?”
          So I did. I half sat, half reclined. Rested my head on your shoulder. It was awkward though. I knew I’d probably have a crick in my neck in the morning. I didn’t care. You smelled clean. Like Prell  and Irish Spring. I wanted to lick your arm, the part that supported my left ear. Just to see . . .
          Thunder cracked. I jumped. Lightning lit the inside of your car. I buried my face in your t-shirt. And then you did it. You kissed me. And I didn’t like it.
          After a moment, I pulled back. “Kissing you’s like kissing a Tang jar,” I said. “Don’t you ever shut your mouth?”
          You flinched, like I’d smacked you, so I put my hand over my lips. Tried to stuff the words back in. You put your seat belt back on and started the car. I went back to my place. Over by the door.

I kept on street walking. Went out every other night ‘til school started up again. Thought, maybe . . .  But you were a football player and I was a nobody. I take that back. I wasn’t a nobody. I was a ‘tweener—in between the popular kids and the grits. I liked everyone and everyone seemed to like me. Then we all graduated and that was behind us.
          You found me at Myrtle Beach. Couple days after graduation.  I was beach walking, not street walking. Me and my girlfriends invited you to join us. We were on our way to whatever hotel it was that had that James Taylor sound-alike. In the bar on the top floor, you made sure I always had a cold beer in my hand and a warm arm around my waist. You grinned at my girlfriends and me as we sang harmony to “Carolina on My Mind” and “How Sweet It Is to Be Loved by You.”
          The next night, you accompanied us again. After the guitar guy sang, “You’ve Got a Friend in Me,” you leaned over and blew in my ear. I wriggled. And giggled.
          Your breath  stirred my hair. “Let’s go see if it’s high tide.”
          The log we sat on felt like it’d been under the sea for a decade. I knew my butt was getting damp, but I didn’t mind. You played with the fringe on my jean cut-offs.
          “Those your car wash shorts?”
          I nodded. “Yep.”
          I’d told you how my shorts and I  had caused a car wreck at a four-way intersection the month before. It was for a good cause. The car wash.
          I dug my toes into the beach. Down to where it was cold and smooth. You started piling sand up in great handfuls ‘til all that showed was my knees. I tried to move my feet, but they were stuck tight. I tugged so hard I fell backward off the log. You joined me.
          I shivered as a breeze came off the ocean. The warmth of too much sun undulated off my chest. You balanced on your elbow beside me. In the lightshine of a nearby walkway, your hair appeared blue black. Your teeth flashed as you smiled at something I didn’t know.
          Then it was like my mouth was rainbow sherbet and you wanted to taste all the flavors—right, left, center. I reached up and touched your curls. To see if they were soft from the South Carolina water or crisp from the salt air. Your neck was warm. Hot even.
          I nibbled my bottom lip. “Oh my.”
          You squinted down at me. “What?”
          “The Tang jar’s gone.”
          One corner of your mouth lifted. “Yeah?”
          Sand found my scalp. It itched, but I didn’t scratch. I closed my eyes so you couldn’t see them.
          “Um . . . maybe I should doublecheck.”

5 comments:

B. WHITTINGTON said...

WOW. This brought back my street walker days of the 60's. Even late 50's. SHowing my age. But still I was waiting for the special car to drive past and ask if I wanted a ride. SOmetimes he came, sometimes not. Our roads were not streets, rural roads.
Still the feelings I remember were the exact same. Spelled ANTICIPATION. Nothing like that experience. Thanks for giving me such a lovely moment as I remembered my days as a walker. Road walker, I guess you could say. Love this!

writingdianet said...

Hey Barb:

I'm so glad you liked this post. It's one of my favorite posts ever. New and improved:) So good to know that street walking never goes out of style:)

If you come back and visit, put a blurb on here about your book in your next comment, including when it's gonna be a free Kindle upload:)

B. WHITTINGTON said...

I'm thrilled to leave a comment about my book VADA FAITH. It will be free on June 8, 9th in celebration of my birthday and in celebration of my attending the WV Writers Conference in Ripley that week end. I'm so thrilled and can't wait to meet everyone. Here's Vada Faith. GET IT FREE.
http://www.amazon.com/Vada-Faith-ebook/dp/B007G97Z60/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1338590179&sr=1-1

writingdianet said...

I'm excited to get Vada for free:) Hope I remember!

Have a great time at Ripley, Barb. I can't make it this year.

Anonymous said...

I loved this post and the imagery it brought up with the little details--I remember my teen years listening to music, hoping the guy would notice me, all the little things you brought back in some way or another.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...