Friday, June 25, 2010

The Car Daddy



The Hyundai dealership in Fairfax, Virginia stayed open late that night, just for me.  Just so I could call you.


"Should I buy it, Daddy?  It's brand new and bright red."


"I'll look it up in Consumer Reports, honeypot.  Call me back in five."




I wheeled your chair through the doors of the Wishing Well Manor.  Took you outside where the forsythia branches waved and the dogwood blossoms pinked up the world.  I set the brakes on your wheelchair.  Right in front of my new-to-you Dodge.


"I named her Snow White," I said.  "'Cause she's--"


You weren't looking.  Your head hung down as you scratched the wheel chair tray with your too-long fingernails.




I put my hand over the divot in my throat as I walked towards the door of the Wishing Well.  An orderly let me in since it was after hours.


"I won't be coming 'round anymore, Daddy," I said, inside my head, as I walked to your room.  "To show you my cars."


I blinked at the pinky-orange exit sign at the end of the hall.


"There'll be no more visits to the Wishing Well," I said softly, so as not to wake the residents.


I felt hot tears, headed for my mouth.


""Cause . . . there's no more Daddy."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...